I am Head of Data Science at Etsy Inc., managing a small group of data scientists to deliver cutting-edge scientific solutions for:
- Search and Discovery
- Personalization and Recommendation
- Computational Advertising
- Email Optimization
Previously, I was Senior Manager of Research at Yahoo Research from 2013 to 2016, leading science efforts for Personalization and Search Sciences. Our team helped to drive science solutions for: Yahoo Homepage News Streams, Yahoo Aviate App Recommendation, Yahoo Tumblr Blog Recommendation, Yahoo Video Recommendation, Yahoo Assistant/Bot Platform and Yahoo Mobile Search.
Over the past several years, I have published papers in all major international conferences in data mining, machine learning and information retrieval, such as SIGIR, WWW, KDD, CIKM, AAAI, WSDM, RecSys and ICML with more than 1,600 citations (H-index: 17), winning WWW 2011 Best Poster Paper Award, WSDM 2013 Best Paper Nominated and RecSys 2014 Best Paper Award. I have served as program committee members in KDD, WWW, SIGIR, WSDM, AAAI, EMNLP, ICWSM, ACL, CIKM, IJCAI and several workshops. In addition, I constantly review articles in most prestige journals such as DMKD, TKDD, TIST, TIS, and TKDE. I have co-founded User Engagement Optimization Workshop, which has been held in conjunction with CIKM 2013 and with KDD 2014.
Prior to Yahoo Research, I was a research assistant in Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Lehigh University, where I was a member of WUME lab from 2008 to 2013, working with Brian D. Davison. I obtained my Ph.D. (2013), M.S. (2010) from Lehigh University and B.S. (2007) from Beijing University of Chemical Technology, all in Computer Science.
Recent News [More]:
- 2016-06 I was invited to the program committee of WSDM 2017.
- 2016-06 I was invited to the program committee of WWW 2017 and WWW 2017 Poster Program.
- 2016-04 I was invited to the program committee of CIKM 2016 Industry Track.
- 2016-04 An article about using slice sampling to optimize LDA’s hyper-parameter is posted.
- 2016-03 An article about using binary search for sampling discrete distributions is posted.
- 2016-03 An article about sampling discrete distributions in log-space is posted.
- 2016-03 I was invited to the program committee of EMNLP 2016.
- L. Hong, Y. Shi and S. Rajan. Learning Optimal Card Ranking from Query Reformulation. ArXiv 2016.
- L. Hong and A. Boz. An Unbiased Data Collection and Content Exploitation/Exploration Strategy for Personalization. ArXiv 2016.
- M. Qian, L. Hong, Y. Shi and S. Rajan. Structured Sparse Regression for Recommender Systems. In CIKM 2015.
- X. Yi, L. Hong, E. Zhong, NN. Liu and S. Rajan. Beyond Clicks: Dwell Time in Personalization. In RecSys 2014 (Best Paper).