Data Science at Etsy
I am Head of Data Science at Etsy Inc., managing a group of data scientists to deliver cutting-edge scientific solutions for:
- Search and Discovery
- Personalization and Recommendation
- Computational Advertising
- Deep Learning and Image Understanding
- 2017-06-08 (Upcoming) Talk at Machine Learning Innovation Summit, San Francisco, CA, about “GB-CENT“.
- 2017-03-28 (Upcoming) Talk at Global Predictive Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, CA about “GB-CENT“.
- 2017-02-22 Talk at Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, San Diego, CA about “GB-CENT“. [Slides]
- 2016-12-05 Talk at Department of Statistics at Columbia University, New York, NY about “Data Science at Etsy“.
- 2016-12 Full paper “GB-CENT: Gradient Boosted Categorical Embedding and Numerical Trees” in WWW 2017. [PDF]
Previously, I was Senior Manager of Research at Yahoo Research from 2013 to 2016, leading science efforts for Personalization and Search Sciences. Our team helped to drive science solutions for: Yahoo Homepage News Streams, Yahoo Aviate App Recommendation, Yahoo Tumblr Blog Recommendation, Yahoo Video Recommendation, Yahoo Assistant/Bot Platform and Yahoo Mobile Search. Over the past several years, I have published papers in all major international conferences in data mining, machine learning and information retrieval, such as SIGIR, WWW, KDD, CIKM, AAAI, WSDM, RecSys and ICML with more than 1,800 citations (H-index: 17), winning WWW 2011 Best Poster Paper Award, WSDM 2013 Best Paper Nominated and RecSys 2014 Best Paper Award. I have served as program committee members in KDD, WWW, SIGIR, WSDM, AAAI, EMNLP, ICWSM, ACL, CIKM, IJCAI and several workshops. In addition, I constantly review articles in most prestige journals such as DMKD, TKDD, TIST, TIS, and TKDE. I have co-founded User Engagement Optimization Workshop, which has been held in conjunction with CIKM 2013 and with KDD 2014. Prior to Yahoo Research, I was a research assistant in Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Lehigh University, where I was a member of WUME lab from 2008 to 2013, working with Brian D. Davison. I obtained my Ph.D. (2013), M.S. (2010) from Lehigh University and B.S. (2007) from Beijing University of Chemical Technology, all in Computer Science.