I am Head of Data Science at Etsy Inc., managing a small group of data scientists to deliver cutting-edge scientific solutions for:
- Search and Discovery
- Personalization and Recommendation
- Computational Advertising
- Deep Learning and Image Understanding
Our team in the past several years has published a number of research papers:
- Corey Lynch, Kamelia Aryafar, and Josh Attenberg. Images Don’t Lie: Transferring Deep Visual Semantic Features to Large-Scale Multimodal Learning to Rank. KDD 2016.
- Diane Hu, Tristan Schneiter: Targeted Content for a Real-Time Activity Feed: For First Time Visitors to Power Users. WWW 2015.
- Rob Hall and Josh Attenberg. 2015. Fast and Accurate Maximum Inner Product Recommendations on Map-Reduce. WWW 2015.
- Diane Hu, Rob Hall, and Josh Attenberg. Style in the long tail: discovering unique interests with latent variable models in large scale social E-commerce. KDD 2014. (Best Industrial Paper)
- Kamelia Aryafar, Corey Lynch, and Josh Attenberg. Exploring User Behaviour on Etsy through Dominant Colors. ICPR 2014.
Previously, I was Senior Manager of Research at Yahoo Research from 2013 to 2016, leading science efforts for Personalization and Search Sciences. Our team helped to drive science solutions for: Yahoo Homepage News Streams, Yahoo Aviate App Recommendation, Yahoo Tumblr Blog Recommendation, Yahoo Video Recommendation, Yahoo Assistant/Bot Platform and Yahoo Mobile Search.
Over the past several years, I have published papers in all major international conferences in data mining, machine learning and information retrieval, such as SIGIR, WWW, KDD, CIKM, AAAI, WSDM, RecSys and ICML with more than 1,800 citations (H-index: 17), winning WWW 2011 Best Poster Paper Award, WSDM 2013 Best Paper Nominated and RecSys 2014 Best Paper Award. I have served as program committee members in KDD, WWW, SIGIR, WSDM, AAAI, EMNLP, ICWSM, ACL, CIKM, IJCAI and several workshops. In addition, I constantly review articles in most prestige journals such as DMKD, TKDD, TIST, TIS, and TKDE. I have co-founded User Engagement Optimization Workshop, which has been held in conjunction with CIKM 2013 and with KDD 2014.
Prior to Yahoo Research, I was a research assistant in Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Lehigh University, where I was a member of WUME lab from 2008 to 2013, working with Brian D. Davison. I obtained my Ph.D. (2013), M.S. (2010) from Lehigh University and B.S. (2007) from Beijing University of Chemical Technology, all in Computer Science.
Recent News [More]:
- 2017-02 I was invited to give a talk at Global Predictive Analytics Conference at Santa Clara, CA on March 28th, about “GB-CENT: Gradient Boosted Categorical Embedding and Numerical Trees“.
- 2017-01 I was invited to give a talk at Machine Learning Innovation Summit at San Francisco, CA on June 8th, about “GB-CENT: Gradient Boosted Categorical Embedding and Numerical Trees“.
- 2017-01 I was invited to give a talk at Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit at San Diego, CA on Feb 22nd, about “GB-CENT: Gradient Boosted Categorical Embedding and Numerical Trees“.
- 2016-12 Our paper entitled “GB-CENT: Gradient Boosted Categorical Embedding and Numerical Trees” has been accepted in WWW 2017.